Earthships are “radically sustainable” buildings the brainchild and design of Mike Reynolds – also known as ‘the Garbage Warrior’.
For the heart of the movement check out Michael Reynolds and his life’s work at: www.earthship.com. You can even rent one to see if Earthships are for you!
These are a few of the Earthships Tony toured as part of the Earthship Academy experience in 2014.
What I love about them… (some of the reasons anyway)
- full southern exposure and greenhouse the entire length of the house.
- glass bottle walls
- recycled tires kept out of the landfill
- wall, window and mirror accents made from recycled bottles embedded into the wall (cob) material
- independence and self-sufficiency
- rainwater collection
- grey water system
- freedom from ongoing monthly heating, cooling and electrical bills
One of my favorites buildings is a ‘ground-house’ in Brittany, France. Technically it is not an Earthship, but rather ‘Earthship inspired’ with many of the beautiful features Michael Reynolds builds are known for known for. (glass walls, solar, etc.)