From May until September we are welcoming volunteers to assist with the construction of a 2 bedroom ‘Earthship inspire’ home on Vancouver island.
The base ‘Waybee’ plans were designed by Michael Reynolds and have been modified for a BC Coastal Rainforest climate; earthquake, snowload and humidity some of the key considerations that have impacted the final design.
On July 20, 2018 the Regional District of Nanaimo (RDN) issued a building permit for theDoighouse – the first ‘Earthship inspired’ home in the RDN (and we believe in BC) to meet the 2012 BC Building Code and the new Canadian National Energy Code.
- positive attitude
- sense of humour
- willingness to work hard and enjoy the process
- desire to build community within Qualicum Bay area on Vancouver Island
- ability to commit to one, two or four weeks of work
- interest and/or knowledge in permaculture, natural building, including earthship construction
- work boots, gloves
- tent space
- the basic breakfast ingredients in a communal kitchen
- A full, nutrious lunch and snacks
- Dinner is potluck or your own arrangements. Kitchen is available for you to use.
theDoighouse: We welcome a continuous intake of volunteers from June 1st to August 31st 2018. Focus for summer 2018:
- Rear and wing walls (tire pounding),
- Construction of interior greenhouse wall. No prior experience is necessary.
Email email@example.com for an information package.
Community Gardens: the garden layout is completed and we are looking for volunteers to help prepare and establish garden beds and a community orchard. Work on the raised garden boxes has started. To sign up for your 2018 garden box contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sawmill: Our onsite portable sawmill will be used to cut dimensional lumber to be used in construction. We are looking for volunteers to help with the sawmill.
Chipping: Tree limbs under 4″ in diameter will need to be chipped and piled for use in the community garden beds. A wood chipper is on site and available to make this a easy cleanup job. Chipping can be done anytime there is a pile. The bark mulch is used on forest trails and community garden paths.THIS TASK is completed for 2018
Firewood: We will be hosting monthly wood chopping work parties. The trees will be felled and stacked waiting to be sawed into 16″ lengths, split and stacked into cords. We have a 25 tonne log splitter on-site to take the ‘hard work’ out of splitting. Split firewood is available for $180/cord. email email@example.com to place your order for delivery this spring. THIS TASK is completed and we are SOLD out of fire wood for 2018.